YES Medspa & Cosmetic Surgery Centre
301-8837 201 Street
Langley, BC V2Y 0C8
Phone: (604) 265-8093
Cosmetic Surgery: Mon–Fri: 8:30 a.m.–4 p.m.
Medspa: Mon: 9 a.m.–7 p.m., Tue–Fri: 9 a.m.–5 p.m.
For many women and men in Vancouver, tummy tuck surgery is the only way to achieve the slim and toned midsection that is one of the hallmarks of health and fitness. Weight fluctuations, previous surgery, pregnancy, and genetics can all contribute to skin excess, muscle laxity and fatty deposits in the abdominal area which cause the belly to protrude and sag. Diet and exercise may help to some degree, but often the only solution is a tummy tuck. Vancouver area plastic surgeon Dr. Mathew Mosher specializes in this and other body contouring procedures.
In order to be considered a candidate for this procedure, you need to be in optimal health. If you are significantly overweight (a Body Mass Index over 30), smoke or have other poorly controlled medical conditions, abdominoplasty will not be offered to you.
Dr. Mathew Mosher performs Vancouver tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) surgery to address the loose skin, stretched muscles, and excess fat which cause the bulging and sagging of the abdominal area. Dr. Mosher offers his patients from British Columbia several tummy tuck options. For some patients, a mini tummy tuck may be sufficient, while for others an extended procedure may be necessary. Dr. Mosher will help you to determine which of these approaches will best achieve your desired results.
To learn more about your abdominoplasty options, click here to request a consultation with Dr. Mosher at his Langley office. He and his friendly, knowledgeable staff will be happy to address all of your questions and concerns.
Dr. Mathew Mosher
Royal College-Certified Plastic Surgeon
As the Medical Director at YES Medspa & Cosmetic Surgery, Dr. Mosher takes great pride in helping patients understand their procedures, explaining the details and answering questions so that they are confident in their choices. Dr. Mosher and the rest of the experienced team at YES take a personalised approach to patient care utilizing experience and expertise sets them apart.Meet Dr. Mosher
Your Abdominoplasty Procedure
Abdominoplasty surgery is performed under a light general anesthetic in our surgery centre. All approaches to abdominoplasty involve an incision above the pubic area which extends horizontally across the lower abdomen. The length of the incision depends on the degree of excess tissue present. Every effort is made to carefully place the incision so that the scar is rarely visible with most bathing suits or underwear.
- Mini-abdominoplasty usually has a shorter scar and tightens the lower abdominal area only. This is often all that is required to get rid of problems related to a previous C-section scar or those limited to the lowermost abdomen. This will do nothing to help with excess skin or protrusion above the bellybutton. The incision length is determined by the degree of skin laxity. The incision shape and position can be individualized to achieve the results you are looking for. To refine results and improve contours, sometimes Dr. Mosher uses liposuction for mini-abdominoplasty patients.
- Standard abdominoplasty is used when there is more soft tissue excess and visible looseness of the abdominal muscles and supportive tissue (called fascia). In nearly all cases the muscle layer is repaired, the umbilicus is transposed to preserve an appropriate position, lax skin is tightened, and excess fat on the lower abdomen is reduced. Liposuction is commonly used for fat reduction on the hips and thighs for our British Columbia tummy tuck patients.
- Extended abdominoplasty procedures involve the same steps as a standard abdominoplasty but address more severe laxity of the abdominal skin. Often the incision in the lower abdomen must extend around the sides and occasionally there is also a vertical scar required in the midline. The procedure is not uncommon for patients who have undergone significant weight loss, and are left with severely stretched skin and muscle tissue.
Recovery and Results
The name “tummy tuck” is somewhat misleading, in that it makes the abdominoplasty procedure seem more quick and simple than it is. Since the surgery involves repairing muscle tissue, the recovery period is longer and more restrictive than most plastic surgery procedures. However, Dr. Mosher has incorporated many advances that makes recovery from this procedure easier than ever.
Abdominoplasty surgery is routinely performed as a day surgical procedure.
Innovative surgical techniques allow most of our patients to recover without the use of post operative drains. More than 90% of our abdominoplasty patients are spared the inconvenience and discomfort associated with these devices.
“Comfort Management Systems” have made the recovery from this procedure much more comfortable. These devices, also known as “pain pumps” greatly reduce your need for stronger pain medications during the first days after surgery. Our patients are more comfortable, more independent and have less nausea after surgery with the use of these devices.
You will be encouraged to begin moving and walking within one to two days, with light activity becoming comfortable in approximately 10 to 20 days, depending on the extent of your surgery.
When the muscle layer has been repaired you will not be allowed to sit or flex your abdomen for long periods of time during the first two weeks. This means that driving and working at a desk will be very limited.
You will wear a compression garment for several weeks to aid in healing, reduce swelling and reduce discomfort.
Sports and strenuous exercise will not be comfortable for about six weeks.
Most patients are able to function well and return to work in about two to three weeks.
We offer proven, clinically-tested treatments that renew and refresh your appearance.Learn More
At YES Medspa & Cosmetic Surgery Centre, we offer a broad range of highly effective non-surgical options that you can choose instead of, or in addition to, surgery:
- Skin smoothing and tightening: Venus Legacy SculptFX™
- Reducing areas of unwanted fat: SculpSure®, Venus Legacy SculptFX™
If you would like to learn more about abdominoplasty, click here to request a consultation with Dr. Mosher, a Royal College certified plastic surgeon specializing in body contouring procedures. Or you can call our Langley office at (604) 265-8093 and one of our helpful staff will schedule your appointment.
Our Surgical Centre
Our on-site, state-of-the-art surgical centre is one of only three private ambulatory surgery facilities in the Province that meets the most current Canadian Standards Association standards. Many other private ambulatory surgery centres in the Province continue to operate without restrictions even though they do not meet current CSA standards for environmental safety and control.Learn More