Over the last 20 years, there have been numerous advancements in technology for body contouring. As a Vancouver, BC, plastic surgeon, I want the best for my patients, not just the “treatment-of-the-day”. I review and evaluate the science-based evidence for all potential treatment options, and I select only the best and most effective ones for my practice.
How do these treatment options perform? In this blog post, I will discuss the many available body contouring options, as well as the benefits of each.
I was the first physician in western Canada to offer this innovative form of liposuction, and today, it is still a patient favorite. Like traditional liposuction, this surgical procedure reduces unwanted fat by breaking down the cells and suctioning them away. Smartlipo™ is a variation of liposuction that uses laser energy to first emulsify unwanted fat cells, making the removal process easier and gentler on the body.
- This treatment is appropriate for reducing unwanted fat under the chin, on the abdomen, flanks, arms, buttocks, hips, and thighs.
- The laser energy can also cause collagen retraction and tissue tightening (as demonstrated in a study published in the Aesthetic Surgery Journal), resulting in the appearance of firmer skin in the newly sculpted area.
- Smartlipo™ does not require multiple treatments and recovery is typically brief and comfortable.
- Expect to return to non-strenuous daily activities within the first few days, and return to work within 3 to 5 days.
Most patients see results within the first few weeks after treatment, with continuing improvement over the next several months.
My practice, YES Medspa & Cosmetic Surgery Centre, was the first in Vancouver to offer this exciting treatment for cellulite reduction. Although Cellulaze is performed in the operating room under a light general anesthesia, it is minimally invasive.
- Cellulaze is best suited for the thighs and buttocks, where cellulite tends to concentrate.
- Results can be seen after a single treatment, and most patients return to light daily activities after 24-hours.
- Patients may return to more strenuous activities after approximately 10 days.
Keep in mind that the results of Cellulaze gradually appear over time as the skin of the treated area thickens and smooths.
This completely nonsurgical fat reduction treatment uses thermal energy to destroy fat cells without harming the skin or surrounding tissues. The body then naturally and harmlessly eliminates the broken down fat cells through its normal metabolic process.
- SculpSure is best suited for the flanks and abdomen, but as we discuss in a related blog post, it also treats smaller areas such as the bra line and upper arms.
- Sculpsure is also more versatile than other devices on the market as it can adapt to varied body and treatment area sizes.
- Many patients can see up to a 25% reduction in the treated fat after one treatment, however for optimum results, 2 treatments are recommended.
- The results of SculpSure® are gradually revealed as the body eliminates the treated fat cells. Some patients see visible results within 8 weeks, however, optimal results typically take up to 12 weeks to develop.
- There is no downtime associated with this 25-minute treatment, so you can return to your daily routine right away.
You can see some of our patients’ SculpSure® before and after pictures to get an idea of the type of results that are possible.
This multipurpose nonsurgical treatment uses radiofrequency energy, magnetic pulses, and an element of gentle suction to tighten skin, reduce wrinkles and reduce superficial fat. The complementary technologies safely and uniformly warm and stimulate targeted skin and fat tissues, triggering the body’s natural healing response.
- New collagen and elastic fibers are generated, giving the skin a tighter, more youthful appearance, while fat cells begin to shrink.
- Venus Legacy is recommended to treat the face, neck, abdomen, back, buttocks, and thighs.
- Because this treatment works by stimulating the body’s natural healing processes, results are achieved through compounded treatments.
- We recommend between 6 and 10 treatments, each spaced one week apart for the face and 10 to 12 treatments for the body to reveal optimal results.
- Maintenance treatments every 4 months will assist with maintaining your results.
Fat Reduction Treatments At-a-Glance
While these procedures are well-tolerated by most patients, the best way to know for sure which one is most appropriate for you is by scheduling a consultation. I invite you to contact my plastic surgery practice in Langley near Vancouver, Abbotsford, and Burnaby, BC. You can request a consultation online or by calling us at (604) 888-9378.