A Guide to Proper Exfoliation:
Gone are the days of ‘scrubbing’… When exfoliating, you don’t want to cause any additional damage to your skin. It is best to use light pressure, moving your fingertips, washcloth or cleansing brush in circular motions. Focus on massaging the exfoliating product into the skin to keep the interaction non-abrasive.
When choosing an exfoliation product, avoid products that contain exfoliating beads with sharp edges and do not dissolve. Products that contain sharp, non-dissolving beads, even “natural” products like apricot pits, can scratch and tear your skin. These tiny abrasions damage your skin and accelerate aging. To avoid this, it is best to select an exfoliating product with gentle beads that dissolve as you massage them into the skin.
It is important to exfoliate 2-3 times per week to remove any excess debris or dead skin cells. Always apply a hydrator to your skin after exfoliation. You want to make sure you are nourishing and protecting your newly revealed skin.
Benefits of Exfoliation
- Helps to Clear Acne and Breakouts. Dead skin cells clog your pores, which can create blockages and wreak havoc on your skin. Exfoliating the dead skin cells will decrease blackheads, reduce the size of your pores and help keep breakouts at bay.
- Improves Your Skin’s Texture. Exfoliating helps to remove residual dirt and makeup as well as the excess layer of dead skin cells. This reveals bright new skin, leaving you feeling and looking radiant.
- Decreases Signs of Aging. As we age, our cell renewal process slows. Our skin also becomes drier and less elastic, which can cause fine lines and wrinkles. By exfoliating regularly, we aid our body in shedding the accumulated layers of dead skin cells and help speed up the cell renewal process, which in turn, enables new and healthy skin cells to grow.
- Increases Absorption. You’ve invested in the best skincare available, however, without exfoliation, you are limiting your skin’s improvement potential. Exfoliation removes the barrier that is currently preventing your products from penetrating deep into your skin and allows your products to deliver their full benefits.
- Creates a Clean Canvas. Exfoliating your skin is essential when using spray tans, cream tanning lotions and makeup. Exfoliating not only helps your skin to better absorb products but it also creates a smooth, clean canvas for your tanning and makeup products which allows for a more even and longer lasting effect!
At YES Medspa we offer amazing at home exfoliating skin care products such as the ZO Exfoliating Polish or Dual Action Scrub. Both are designed to gentle polish away dead cells and debris, prevent breakouts and reveal a brighter complexion.
For those who are looking for a more comprehensive and in-depth exfoliation treatment, we offer medical grade Hydrafacial and Chemical Peel treatments in office. With both of these treatments, a member of our professional Medspa team will provide you with a customized exfoliation treatment to improve skin cell turnover and reveal brighter and healthier skin. These treatments take less than 45 min to complete and with no downtime, you can return to your daily activities immediately with glowing, radiant skin. These treatments are a great way to refresh your skin. We recommend monthly treatments to assist the body’s natural cell turnover cycle.
Call our office to learn which exfoliation technique is right for your skin. 604-888-9397