In a world where first impressions count, our faces play a pivotal role in how others perceive us. Over time, natural aging, genetics, and lifestyle factors can lead to changes in our facial appearance that may not reflect how we feel inside. Fortunately, advances in facial plastic surgery offer a wide range of options to help individuals achieve their desired looks and boost their self-esteem.
We’ve created this comprehensive guide to your facial procedure options, explaining the goals of each approach, the recovery times involved, and why our surgeons may recommend combining different procedures in a single operation. This approach is part of a personalized Prescription for Beauty™—a customized plan for achieving and maintaining facial rejuvenation, which may include surgery, nonsurgical treatments, and skin care.
Before and After Facial Plastic Surgery
These before-and-after photos featuring one of our patients demonstrate the comprehensive, personalized results achieved by combining multiple procedures. In this case, we combined a brow lift, upper and lower blepharoplasty, and a facelift so that he looks like a more youthful version of himself without appearing unnatural.
Facelift surgery encompasses several techniques that address signs of aging in the lower face and neck. One characteristic all facelift procedures share is repositioning the tissue and muscle below the skin to create natural-looking results. Gone are the days of skin-only facelifts that pulled the skin tight and trimmed the excess, which led to the “windblown” look.
Whether you get a traditional facelift, a mini or short-scar lift, or endoscopic facelift, the benefits include:
- Youthful Contours: A facelift restores the natural contours of your face by eliminating sagging skin and tightening underlying tissues. This includes a more well-defined jawline and cheekbones.
- Wrinkle Reduction: Fine lines and wrinkles around the mouth and cheeks can be significantly reduced, providing a smoother complexion.
- Boosted Confidence: Many patients experience a significant boost in self-confidence and a more positive self-image after a successful facelift.
Even though each patient’s facelift recovery is unique, most facelift patients take 10 to 14 days off before returning to work or regular social activities. You may need less time if you undergo a less invasive version of facelift surgery. You’ll start seeing results after about 6 weeks, but the residual swelling can take 3 months or more to resolve fully. If you’re getting a facelift before an important social or professional event, it’s essential to plan the timing of your surgery with this residual swelling in mind.
For certain patients, a neck lift may be considered as a standalone procedure. However, at YES, our plastic surgeons often combine a lower face and neck lift to provide a more unified result. Liposuction to the jawline and submental area can also be combined with a neck lift to help contour the jawline. A neck lift tightens sagging skin to the front of the neck, which is often referred to as a “turkey neck.” It may also minimize neck bands and remove excess fat.
The benefits of a neck lift include:
- Defined Neckline: A neck lift can redefine your jawline and neck contours, providing a more youthful and refined appearance.
- Enhanced Profile: Eliminating excess skin and fat can result in a smoother, more slender neck profile.
Neck lift recovery time is similar to a facelift, with most people noticing that discomfort, swelling, and bruising resolve within 2 weeks. You’ll start seeing the neck’s new contours take shape within that time frame, as well, but It may take up to 3 months for the residual swelling to disappear. Scarring is minimal after a neck lift, with incisions concealed under the chin or in the natural creases of the ears.
Brow Lift (Forehead Lift)
A brow lift effectively addresses signs of aging in the upper face, such as deep forehead lines, frown lines, and sagging brows. This procedure results in a more alert, youthful, and rejuvenated appearance. Our surgeons may recommend combining a brow lift with upper eyelid surgery (blepharoplasty).
Surgeons use various techniques when performing brow lift surgery, including endoscopic brow lifts. This technique involves inserting a tiny camera through 4 or 5 small incisions in the scalp, which is less invasive than traditional brow lift surgery.
The benefits of a brow lift include:
- Youthful Expression: A brow lift eliminates deep lines and wrinkles on the forehead, resulting in a more relaxed and youthful expression.
- Lifting Sagging Brows: A brow lift elevates the brows to a more aesthetically pleasing position for individuals with sagging brows.
- Enhanced Eye Area: By addressing the forehead and brow region, this procedure can enhance the appearance of the eyes, making them appear more open and vibrant.
Most patients experience minimal discomfort following a brow lift and can return to work about a week after the procedure. Swelling gradually resolves during the first 3 weeks post-op. Your scalp may feel numb, but this is rare and disappears after a few months.
Eyelid Surgery (Blepharoplasty)
Age-related changes to the upper and lower eyelids are the primary reason for seeking eyelid surgery. Still, younger individuals may inherit traits such as hooded upper eyelids that can be corrected with upper blepharoplasty. Other reasons for eyelid surgery include drooping eyelids, under-eye bags, and excess skin around the eyes. These conditions can make you appear older and tired.
In upper and lower eyelid surgery, the surgeon conceals incisions so that the resulting scars are virtually invisible. The benefits of eyelid surgery include:
- Youthful Appearance: Eyelid surgery provides a more refreshed and youthful appearance by removing excess skin and fat from the upper and lower eyelids.
- Improved Vision: For some individuals, sagging upper eyelid skin can impair their peripheral vision, and blepharoplasty helps alleviate this issue.
- Greater Confidence: Enhancing the eyes can increase self-confidence and create a more energetic appearance.
The recovery after eyelid surgery is typically shorter than other facial procedures, although many patients combine blepharoplasty with a facelift to create an overall rejuvenated appearance. You may wear contact lenses and makeup after 4 or 5 days but should avoid strenuous activities for at least 2 weeks.
Request a Consultation
Facial plastic surgery offers a range of options to help individuals regain their youthful appearance, boost their self-esteem, and feel more confident in their own skin. Whether you’re interested in a facelift, neck lift, brow lift, or eyelid surgery, it’s crucial to consult with a Royal College-certified plastic surgeon who can guide you through the process, discuss your goals, answer your questions, and customize a treatment plan tailored to your unique needs.
If you want to speak with one of our experienced plastic surgeons to learn more about facial plastic surgery, call our Langley office, located in the geographic centre of metro Vancouver, at (604) 888-9378 or request a consultation using our online form.